Tuesday 26 April 2011

Style Scrapbook: Last Days Of Disco

So often I find myself unwittingly at odds with popular trends. If it's sports luxe and colour blocking everywhere you look, then I'll probably be into cute 60s mini-dresses or romantic lace. I don't do it on purpose, somehow it just always seems to work out that way.
But the catwalk's recent love affair with seventies glamour has really piqued my interest, and for once I feel (dare I say it...) in sync with widespread taste... Ok, so this is sounding worryingly 'at one' with the world, fret not, it's not all rose-tinted - I have to say I have never been a fan of boho/hippie/global traveller type style and I can't see myself converting to macrame and tie-dye anytime soon ...
What I'm crushing on is that late 70s/bordering on 80s 'last days of disco' super-glossy glamazon look. I'm thinking Marc Jacobs SS11, vintage 70s YSL/Halston, Jerry Hall, Studio 54 etc etc...

A brilliant array of late 70s glamour can be seen in one of my favourite films, P.T Anderson's Boogie Nights. Specifically Julianne Moore as the fantastically named Amber Waves in floaty chiffons, luxurious lurex, plunging necklines and of course that amazing big hair.

Lovely in lurex...
Ravishing in red...

Probably not the most eye-catching, given the dazzling spectrum of outfits she wears throughout the film, but I was totally taken by the oddly chic dusky pink and mauve combo she wears in the courtroom scene. Check out the matching nails! What's not to love?! I for one will be pairing up these shades sometime soon...

...and perhaps not so happy in mauve... but looking stylish nonetheless.

For couture inpiration I'm loving vintage YSL and Halston, the favourite of all Studio 54 icons - angel wing sleeves, drapes, gathering, empire lines. It's all about drama and this has it all...
Stunning 70s Halston tangerine chiffon wrap gown
Halston 70's Silk Hand-Beaded Evening Dress


And of course I couldn't finish the post without a mention of Marc Jacobs' most recent collection... a paean to Boogie Nights glamour!
Big hair, big shades and big pout essential for MJ's poolside glamourfest
Hmm... that hair accessory looks awfully familiar...


I'm not sure how much of this will be wearable for a trip to the supermarket, but the first opportunity I get this summer I'll be digging out the hair accessories and shimmer eyeshadow and partying like it's 1979.

h x

No comments:

Post a Comment