Tuesday 20 September 2011

Snakeskin, python-print, and all things reptilian...

The snakeskin trend in fashion and accessories - I must admit - has taken me a little by surprise. There always seems to be a bit of snakeskin/reptilian and mock-crock material present in terms of accessories (classic shoes and handbags territory here), but in the last month or so an abundance of python-print goods have hit the shops in every department. In terms of animalistic fashion, it's hard to imagine there could ever really been a serious contender to the reign of leopard skin. But snakeskin and reptilian prints seem to have slithered their way from the catwalk and onto the highstreet, and really appear to be taking off.

Perhaps this growing popularity is down to the versatile colour pallette they offer. The more natural prints opt for neutral tones of cream, beige, mustard and tan. Whereas the more spacey, glam rock adaptations come in a spectrum of colours and finishes from metallic to glossy. More likely though, its the fact that they bridge perfectly between a range of this season's popular looks, from the prim, eccentric 60s lady look (clutch/handbags and courts), to the 70s glamour (kneeboots, handbags) and luxe-punk (ankle boots) styles. In terms of cost-per-wear, a snakeskin piece is a safe bet!

So with this in mind, I'm now on the hunt for the perfect pair of snakeskin ankle boots... Thusfar to no avail. Maybe I'm being too picky... I blame Dries Van Noten, whose beautiful beautiful AW11 ankle boots are just perfect in every way (except for perhaps the price tag).

Dries Van Noten AW11 Snakeskin Ankle Boots. The boots that dreams are made of...

I'm dreaming about teaming them up with opaque tights and a 60s style shift dress for easy autumnal chic.
So far, Zara's DVN lookalikes have come close, but they seem to sit more like a mid-calf boot than a 60s-esque ankle boot (the littlest details make all the difference!), so for now the hunt continues... although the more I look at them the more tempted I am!

Zara Snake Ankle Boots - £89.99 (photo credit: http://heycrazy.wordpress.com/)
The Zara boots are great lookalikes, and come in two lovely shades. An golden/amber hue (as above), but I think I prefer the pale, silvery/taupe colourway, simply in terms of wearability. I think they'd go with a lot more of my clothes and they have a slightly more 60s feel in my opinion...

Zara Snakeskin Ankle Boots £89.99 (photo credit: www.locksandtrinkets.com)
So the hunt will go on for the perfect snakeskin ankle boots (any suggestions greatly welcomed!), although I wonder if maybe I've already found them...

hx

No comments:

Post a Comment